Happy Tasty Tuesday! I don’t post a recipe every week, obvi, but when I whip up something delicious I feel like I must share! This recipe was kind of created by accident. It is an update on a filling that I used to put inside my favorite stuffed chicken. When I would make it in the past, I’d make a little extra and toss it with quinoa or brown rice for lunch the following day. I was craving it recently, went to make it, and realized I didn’t have chicken. DUH. So I made the stuffing as a side, added some of my favorite things, and served it up. It was a hit with my husband and daughter, so here we go!
WHAT YOU NEED:
4 slices bacon – cooked then chopped
2 cloves garlic – minced
1/2 onion – diced
1 cup frozen sweet corn
1 cup pepper jack cheese shredded
3 cups kale*
salt and pepper to taste
crushed red pepper flakes to taste
*I add the kale little by little as it wilts, so you may find you need more or less than 3 cups.
WHAT YOU DO:
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon, then set aside. When bacon cools chop it into chunks.
- Saute onion and garlic in the bacon fat for about a minute, then start adding the kale in small handfuls. As it wilts continue to add more.
- Add the sweet corn and any extra kale you may have.
- Cook through for about 10 minutes, make sure to keep stirring so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- For an extra kick add red pepper flakes.
- When kale is completely wilted, remove pan from heat. Add the bacon back to the mix and add cheese. Toss mixture so cheese melts throughout.
- Transfer to plates and enjoy!
As I said, if you have any of this left over, save it! It’s amazing the next day tossed with brown rice or quinoa. I mean… it’s kind of healthy… save for cooking it in bacon fat, ha! If you want a healthier alternative I guess you can toss the bacon fat and sautee everything in coconut oil instead! (Which is what I actually do when I make this filling for the chicken because it didn’t include bacon). SO! Cook it up, throw it on the side of a fantastic steak and a big ol’ glass of red wine and enjoy!